So, What's Mi Terro Doing to Save the World?
One of Mi Terro’s primary goals is to clean up our environment. We intend to do this by creating products made from fashion waste and actively taking steps to clean up our environment. For example, our duffle suitcase is made from cork and the straps are made from recyclable plastic and ocean plastic. Cork is a superior material to leather and by utilizing cork, we are preventing cork deforestation (read more about this on the blog post we wrote about cork!). In addition, by using recyclable plastic we are encouraging recycling activities and by using ocean plastic, we are doing our part to clean up our oceans. More importantly, due to the success we saw from our Kickstarter for our duffle suitcase, we have decided to partner with Eden Projects to plant 2500 trees, and this is our way of actively taking steps to clean up our environment.
Who is Eden Projects?
Eden Reforestation Projects is a non-profit “whose mission is to provide fair wage employment to impoverished villagers as agents of global forest restoration”. They’re accomplishing many things with their mission.
1) They provide employment, at a fair wage, to impoverished villagers
2) They are planting trees to clean and preserve our environment
Their vision is to plant a minimum of 100 million trees per year by 2020! We are doing our part by contributing to this lofty goal by working with them to plant 2500 trees. Of course, as Mi Terro grows, we want to increase our commitment with Eden Reforestation Projects and even work with other non-profits who want to clean our oceans and environment. Our goal is planting 1 million trees in the next five years.
Why Plant Trees?
1) Trees absorb CO2 and pollutants like Ammonia and Nitrogen Oxide. One tree absorbs about 10 pounds of polluted air and releases 260 pounds of air, approximately
2) Studies show that planting trees can increase your home value by 15%!
3) Half of our oxygen comes from trees (and the other half comes from the ocean, which is why we need to have clean oceans too!)
4) 80% of our forests have been destroyed since the 1900’s. At the current rate, about 28,000 species will go extinct over the next 25 years.
To show our commitment to Make Earth Green Again, we pledge to plant 10 trees per item sold. Each Mi Terro CDS removes two pounds of plastics from our environment.
Time is running out for us to save our environment. We must act now and act quick. Please join us on this urgent and critical mission!